Riverside County Fire Department provides information and permits for construction activities and special events.

Burn Permits Model Rocket Permits

Construction and Special Event Permits

Permits and Information for Construction, Special Events and Fire Life Safety Inspections

Construction Permits

Burning Permits

Special Notice regarding open and agricultural waste burning

Special Notice (PDF)

What is Open Burning?

Open burning is defined as the ignition and subsequent burning, or ignition, rapid decomposition and subsequent burning of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials, outside of a combustion chamber with or without a visible flame and not directed through a chimney or flue. For details on specific requirements and limitations, please refer to Rule 444.

"Open fire" is defined as any fire; controlled or uncontrolled, including a campfire, burning outside of any structure, mobilehome, or living accommodation mounted on a motor vehicle. "Open fire" does not include portable lanterns designed to emit light resulting from a combustion process.

To learn what you need to know before you burn click here.

What must I do prior to Agricultural or tumbleweed Open Burning?

Obtain a "Permit to Burn" from your local fire station. Click here to find your closest fire station. Find out if the next day is a 'Yes' or 'No' Burn Day by calling the Burn Line at (909) 396-3403. If the next day is a Burn Day, press 0, and leave a message for a Burn Authorization Number (BAN) on the Burn Line prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before the burn. Alternately, a Burn Authorization Number can be obtained by calling the Southcoast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) at (909) 396-3403 prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before the burn.

Relay the BAN to your local fire station and write that number on the permit. Hours of Open Burning are restricted to 6:00 AM and 12:00 PM. Hours of Open Burning are subject to change based on weather and other subjective reasoning as determined by your local fire station.

What can I burn?

Waste materials produced entirely from Agricultural Operations. Refer to Rule 444 (referenced in the link above), for complete list of allowable and non-allowable materials which may be burned. ONLY TUMBLEWEEDS may be burned and no other material is allowed. Tumbleweed burns require an SCAQMD Burn Authorization Number and may require a physical inspection.

When can I call SCAQMD?


Monday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Tuesday - Friday: 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM

If Burning on Sunday or Monday, call before 4:00 PM on Saturday.

Model Rocket Permits

Information regarding the firing of model rockets in Riverside County

Adults may be issued a permit at any Cal Fire / Riverside County Fire Station under the following restrictions:
  1. The permit will only be issued for the duration of need.
  2. Model rockets are not allowed to be fired near schools or airports.
  3. The rocket may only be fired from a location that the permit holding adult has written permission by the property owner to be.
  4. The person firing the rocket carries the ultimate responsibility for any fire(s) occurring as the result of the rocket.